It may only be when you start to compare landlord insurance quotes that you begin to realise that there are quite a few variations in what policies may provide.
Different insurance providers view the world and its risks differently to each other. The knock-on effect of this can mean that their buy to let house insurance policies will offer slightly different levels of cover.
Some features to look out for when you compare landlord insurance quotes may include some of the following:
- does the policy provide cover for malicious damage by tenants? Not all insurance cover provides this. There are some that do though, such as ourselves.
- your property may be damaged to the extent that it is rendered uninhabitable by one of the events covered by buildings insurance, such as earthquakes, fires, floods lightning strikes etc. With most providers you’ll typically be covered for the repair costs but can the policy also provide you with cover for loss of rent when you tenants have to move elsewhere?
- is subsidence covered as part of the standard landlords insurance policy? We offer subsidence cover as part of your buy to let insurance policy as standard, but some other insurers offer it as an optional add-on.
- if your property is a furnished let, you may typically be looking for contents cover. Some policies offer may offer this at a market value rate while others may operate on a new for old basis. Which one is right for you?
- if someone sues you for damages for an injury they sustained as a result of your property, then the public liability cover included as standard by some buildings insurance may typically cover the costs of the court award and the legal costs. If it is high enough, that is. Not all policies offer the same level of protection and any shortfall will be your personal responsibility.
The answers to some of these questions may help you firm up in your mind the type of cover you are looking for.
Even though you may consider yourself to be a typical landlord, what is the best let property insurance for someone else may not be best for you. Remember that to find appropriate let property insurance, you may need to compare landlord insurance quotes.