What does unoccupied property insurance cover?

Posted: 27th Dec 2017

Whether you are a homeowner occupier or the landlord of buy to let property, you may know that your property is likely to be more than usually vulnerable when it stands empty and unoccupied for any length of time.

In that case, you probably know that the standard home insurance or landlord insurance cover which usually safeguards the property is curtailed or may lapse altogether once the place has been empty for longer than between 30 and 45 consecutive days (the precise interval varying from one insurer to another).

The reason for that is your insurer’s concern that the empty and unoccupied property may be more vulnerable to loss or damage from:

  • otherwise minor incidents requiring a little maintenance might develop into a full-blown emergency if there is no one at home to report the incident; and
  • empty property is a common target for squatters, vandals, arsonists and other unwelcome intruders.

Unoccupied property insurance

In place of your standard cover, therefore, specialist unoccupied property insurance is required.

When you look more closely at just what this type of insurance covers, however, you are likely to find that considerable care and attention are needed.

Some versions of the product, for example, restore an element of cover, but it is restricted to so-called FLEA or FLEEA risks – Fire, Lightning, Explosions and Aircraft or Fire, Lightning, Earthquake, Explosions and Aircraft, respectively.

Other versions may offer reduced levels of cover or exclusions for specific risks, such as flooding.

Unoccupied property insurance from the specialists

Arrange your unoccupied property insurance through us here at Cover4LetProperty, however, and you have the choice of cover that protects as much, or as little, as you choose.

This might be comprehensive cover, for example, which fully restores the protection you enjoy with your usual home insurance or landlord insurance whilst the property is more or less continuously occupied.

In that way, you may rest assured that your unoccupied property and its contents remain covered against the full range of risks – including fire, flooding, storm damage, impacts (from vehicles and falling objects), vandalism and theft.

Also restored is indemnity against your property owners’ or landlords’ liability, in the event of any third party – including neighbours and members of the public – being injured or having their property damaged and holding you liable. Claims such as these may run into very substantial amounts – and may even be made by persons who have gained entry to your property illegally.

In recognition of the size of potential claims – especially those involving personal injury – indemnity of at least £1 million (and often more) is customarily provided.

Unoccupied property insurance is also adaptable, allowing you to extend any period of cover if you realise your home may be empty for longer than originally expected. Unlike many other forms of general insurance, you may also arrange cover that extends for, say, just three or six months, rather than the full year.

Options are also typically available for empty properties under going works insurance, too.

If you want to arrange unoccupied property insurance that is uniquely tailored to suit your particular needs and requirements, therefore, you might want to read our detailed guide to the subject and contact us here at Cover4LetProperty.