Call our friendly team

01702 606 301

Holiday Home FAQs

Below are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) relating to our UK holiday home insurance cover. While some of the answers apply to all types of second home insurance policies, some are specific to our own products only.

What are the differences between a UK holiday home insurance policy and a second home insurance policy?

There is no difference whatsoever. They are two different names for the same type of specialist cover.

Does the policy cover the costs of alternative accommodation for any guests, should the property be damaged before or during their stay?

If your property is damaged by an insured event (so, flood, fire, etc.), then we will pay for the costs of alternative accommodation, up to set limits.

If my holiday home is being used purely by myself and my family and it not let to paying guests, do I still need holiday home insurance? Why can’t I use home buildings and contents insurance?

If you have a second or holiday home (so a property that is not your main residence) then you will need holiday home insurance. This is because your second home is unlikely to be occupied all the time, so will face greater risks.

A standard owner-occupier buildings and contents insurance policy would not cover these extra risks.

Does your policy include public liability injury to guests and third parties, and employers’ liability for injury to domestic staff, such as cleaners or gardeners at my second property?

Our policies include up to £2m public liability for guests and third parties, and up to £5m for domestic staff.

Is my permanently installed jacuzzi / hot tub / swimming pool covered under the buildings section of the holiday home insurance?

Yes, they are covered, but there are some exclusions. For example, if your swimming pool / hot tub / jacuzzi is damaged by storm, flood or weight of snow or damaged by frost, then typically you will not be able to make a claim.

Are freezer contents covered?

No. We do not offer freezer contents cover within our second home insurance policies.

Are any discounts available when I buy my holiday home insurance from you? 

Yes, if you have had at least three years’ claim free under your existing holiday home insurance, we will discount your premiums up to 20%.

Is malicious damage to contents covered? 

Yes it is, provided the person who causes the damage has a lawful right to be within your property (for example, if they are a paying guest).

What happens if my property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days?

Please let us know. As long as you advise us that the property will be unoccupied for more than 30 consecutive days, your insurance policy remains valid.

Note that there are certain obligations you will need to fulfil, such as making regular, logged inspections of the property (typically every 30 days).

The property also needs to be furnished.

How can I find out more about your holiday home insurance?

If you would like to know more about this specialist cover, then please feel free to get in contact with us free on 0800 970 71 72, Monday-Friday.

Or drop us an email at and one of our highly qualified, friendly, staff will call you back.


This entry was posted in UK Holiday Homes Insurance and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.