Tempting as it may be, at renewal time, concentrating exclusively on cheap landlord insurance quotes may not provide you with the cover that you may expect or need.
One of the problems with landlord cover that proclaims itself to be cheap, is that the price you see may bear little or no resemblance to your final quote.
This difference may be due in part to you having to add on features of cover not typically included as standard in cheap landlord insurance quotes.
With other quotes though, you may find that there are a lot of features already included in the price as standard.
These may include things such as:
- subsidence – something which you may perhaps think is included in all buy to let property insurance. On closer inspection of your landlord insurance quotes though, you may find that in many but not all cases, it isn’t covered;
- not all landlord cover may provide you with compensation in the form of rental income cover if your tenants have to move out of your buy to let property if it becomes uninhabitable as the result of an insured event ( fire, storm damage, flooding etc);
- restrictions on the type of tenants you can rent to. Some policies may exclude certain categories of tenant, like students or DSS, from their landlord cover;
- cover for malicious damage by tenants may tend not to appear in all landlord insurance quotes but it is available;
- the repair of damage caused by tradesmen trying to locate the source of a problem may not always be included in some buy to let house insurance. This is known as ‘trace and access cover’ and may typically be applicable in cases, for example, where there is a leak behind a wall. Having your leak repaired but being left with a hole in the wall to deal with may not be your idea of appropriate insurance cover.
You will be pleased to know that when you get a buy to let insurance quote from us, the price will typically include all these products and features as standard, so you know exactly where you stand in terms of pricing.
In summary, cheap landlord insurance quotes are all well and good but you need to know what you’re looking for. Using our online quote and buy service, or giving us a call, may help you find buy to let insurance that fits your budget and your expectations.